My love of, and participation in, the art field dates back
to my early childhood. It began formally with classes in ceramics and linocut
in Highschool, continuing with college courses in painting and sculpture, classes
at The Torpedo Factory, in Alexandria, Virginia for screen printing, silk painting,
image transfer and fiber art. I continue through the present with workshops,
through artist guilds, and self study using books, DVDs, the Artist NetworkTV,
and PBS.During 2004-2006, I studied Decorative art. During 2006-2008, I studied
jewelry making by taking classes, courses, and workshops in beadwork, metalsmithing,
and polymer clay.
Artist Statement: Painting
I paint ordinary things and circumstances in a way to make them emotionally
meaningful. For example, in my bird and wildlife paintings,
instead of using the neutral colors of nature for
most of the background environments, I use vibrant colors that give the paintings
a gemlike quality, hence, a "Visual Gem" that may heighten the delight when viewing
the images. My favorite style of painting is realism with, more recently,
a surrealistic subject matter, such as in my Allegorical paintings.
I paint because I have a strong
desire to translate in paint the images that arise in my mind or that I see in
a photograph, such as in a portrait. I paint a
range of fine art subjects, including allegorical, wildlife, landscape, still life, and
figurative art. My paint mediums are typically acrylic and oil, with some
When people look at my work, I would like them to experience the same feelings that I felt when I first imagined it, or to stop and think about the meaning behind the images. But most of all, I feel elated when someone looks at one of my paintings and finds something about it that really attracts them or moves them.
Artist Statement: Jewelry
I create high end jewelry because I love the beauty of the materials: the beads,
metal, glass, and polymer clay. I love the colors of the different beads and
crystals, especially the Swarovski Aurora Borealis crystals and multicolor seed beeds.
Put these together and the end product gives me a “wow” feeling.
The design may be challenging, but there is a zen I find relaxing in the beading
and working with metal, clay, or glass.
I want the person who owns my jewelry to feel beautiful wearing it. I try to create pieces that are very different from each other, rather than pieces that are all similar to each other except for bead color. Not only does that approach keep me interested and motivated, but I think it adds a unique, designer quality to the jewelry I make.
- Second Place, Sun City Art Show, "Chickadee on a Stump"
- Third Place, Palo Verde Art Show, "White Dessert"
- Second Place, Palo Verde Art Show, "Red Wine with Yellow Rose"
- Honorable Mention, Sun City Annual Art Show, "Desert Stroll"
- Second Place, Whiteriver Annual Art Show, "Someday Me Too"
Juried Art Exhibitions
Below art the juried art shows that Velvet has been in, in cronological order, with the pieces exhibited below each show, in parentheses.
- Sun City Annual Art Show, Sun City, Arizona; Feb 7 - 8, 2015
Second Place to "Chickadee on a Stump"
- Arizona Artist Guild's Winter Exhibition: December - January, 2015
("The Waiting Room")
- Arizona Artist Guild's Body of Work Exhibition: March 23 - April 15, 2014
("Lucy's Warbler", "Scott's Oriole", "Bewick's Wren")
- Sun City Annual Art Show, Sun City, Arizona; Feb 7 - 8, 2014
Honorable Mention to "Desert Stroll"
- Celebration of Artists 2013 for West Valley Art Museum, at
the City Hall in Peoria, Arizona; April 22, 2013 - June 15, 2013.
("Safe Haven?", "Lucy's Warbler", "Parrot")
- Adelente Health Art Gallery; Jan. 28, 2013 - April 28, 2013.
("Ghost Town", "Western Screech Owl", "Great Horned Owl", "Scott's Oriole", "Chipping Sparrow")
- Adelente Health Art Gallery; Sep. 18, 2012 - Jan. 5, 2013.
("Safe Haven?", "Concern", "Parrot", "Lucy's Warbler", "Chickadee Perch", "Bewick's Wren")
- Sueno Realty Grand Opening; June 21, 2012.
("Parrot", "Concern", "Safe Haven?")
- Adelente Health Art Gallery; April 26, 2012 - Sept 11, 2012.
("Pots In Blue", "The Color Orange")
- Arizona Artist Guild Spring 2012 Juried Show, at the AAG
art gallery; April 7, 2012 - May 15, 2012.
- Celebration of Artists 2012 for West Valley Art Museum, at
the City Hall in Peoria, Arizona; March 26, 2012 - May 17, 2012.
("Lost Civilization Found Treasures")
- Adelente Health Art Gallery; Feb. 21, 2012 - April 25, 2012.
- Adelente Health Art Gallery; Dec. 16, 2011 - Feb. 20, 2012.
("Someday Me Too", "Beta World", "Ice Cream World Under Ice")
Articles About the Artist
Interview in Designpromotivate
Interview in Artpromotivate
Artist Of The Week Article in West Valley View