I have just finished my latest wildlife painting of a bird, a Bewick’s Wren, perched on an outcropping in a gnarly tree. I am very pleased with this painting. I find that, the more birds I paint, the more pleased I am with the outcome. The colors in this one are more subdued than my previous birds.
I just finished another bird painting. I’m quite pleased with this one. The bird is a 4 inch Lucy’s Warbler, sitting on the branch of a cherry blossom tree.With the inclusion of this painting to my website, I’m thinking that my website will need overhauling in not too long a time. I have my entire list of paintings on one page, and I think I will have to start categorizing things. For instance, birds under a heading of Wildlife. Maybe a People heading and a Places heading. I think I’ll need a Science Fiction and a Surreal. Some paintings may have to go under multiple headings. I’ll probably decide how to do this after my WordPress online class in July.
I’ve felt a bit overwhelmed with the larger sized paintings that I’ve been doing. So, I’ve decided to paint a run of small, 11″ x 14″ canvas paintings with nature – birds for a start – as the subject matter. I feel very confident in my ability to paint birds, and I would like to put out a larger number of paintings with a simpler composition. This painting, called “Chickadee Perch” is the first one in the series.
The photos in this post show an acrylic ‘before’ painting and an oil ‘after’ painting. The painting is titled “Concern”, and is the face of an actor as he portrays a cold case detective in a BBC mystery series, called, “Waking the Dead”.
I originally painted this using Atelier Interactive acrylic paints. I thought that I would be able to blend the colors successfully because those paints stay open much longer than regular acrylics. But I was not satisfied with the amount of blending I was able to do, especially in a painting of a face. So, I painted over the entire image with water miscible oils. I am much more pleased with the outcome after using the oils. I also repainted the background to be more mottled and diverse in color and texture than it had been in the original acrylic painting.
———————- One Week Later —————————–
I can’t leave well enough alone. Well, that’s because I don’t think well enough was well enough. I elongated his left eyebrow to go along with the elongated left glass lense. And I added a touch more highlight. Now, I’m sure I’m done.