Originally, I painted this red and orange rose with warm colored highlights: warm whites tinted with orange and yellow. The end result was good. I liked it; it was nice. But that’s not what I want from my paintings any more. I want them to be more than nice; something that deserves some examination, not just a few seconds of notice before going on to view the next painting.
With this in mind, I reworked the painting so that a large percent of the area, maybe 40%, was repainted with accents of complementary cool colors to the reds and oranges of the original rose. I mixed white with blues, greens, turquoise, and purples and placed these mixtures in places where the highlights and accents would be. Although it is often customary to use cool white highlights with a warm subject, I took this step quite a bit farther by making the cool colors as much a focus as the warm colors.
I think the changes make the rose vibrant and it seems more abstract than the original rose. I feel that I accomplished what I set out to do, at least to a certain extent. At least it began a process of trying to give my paintings that extra little attraction factor. I have begun a new painting, and, this time, I have designed in it’s uniqueness at the start, rather than as an after measure.