It has been more than six months since I finished the painting called “Safe Haven?” For all that time, something had been bothering me about it. This is the painting as it had been finished. Yesterday, it dawned on me what I didn’t like about it; and everything I didn’t like could be fixed quite easily. First, I didn’t like how light the gate’s stonework was. It was too bright for something that not only wasn’t the focal point, but was at the edges of the painting. To fix this, I glazed over the stones several times with paynes gray. Next, I didn’t like the flatness of the trees. True, it was nighttime, but I could still show the three dimensionality of the trunks. I did this with a watery white dulled down with paynes gray and a few sections of yellowish light from the porch. Next, many of the branches weren’t showing up. For this, I put some of the dulled down white on the branches for some highlight. I brightened it for areas that were in direct moonlight. In addition, I also straightened out and emphasized the lines of the front door, porch posts, and fretwork. Finally, I punched up the light coming from the porch light. The final, final painting is now
something that I am very satisfied with.